Cramond Road South, Davidson's Mains Tel: 0131 336 2060

Lauriston Castle was left in trust to the nation by its last private owners, Mr and Mrs William Robert Reid, who lived there from 1902 to 1926.Lauriston Castle, Cramond Road South, Davidsons Mains

Its Edwardian-period interiors have been carefully preserved, and reflect the taste of wealthy middle-class collectors of the period.

As proprietor of Morison and Co., one of Scotland's leading cabinet-makers, Mr. Reid brought a lifetime's experience to the furnishing of Lauriston. Prints, paintings, tapestries, textiles, porcelain, Sheffield-plate, Blue John, British and Continental furniture and many objets d'art assembled by him, are enhanced by the Castle's carefully-considered decorative schemes.


Originally a 1590s tower house, the castle was built for Sir Archibald Napier, and extended during the 1820s by the architect William Burn for its then owner, Thomas Allan. The tranquility of its setting, overlooking the Firth of Forth, combined with its proximity to the centre of Edinburgh, makes Lauriston typical of the large suburban villas which once provided rural amenity for the powerful and wealthy of the city. Hence, over the centuries, it housed many notable Scots, including John Law, who rose to high office at the French Court during the 1720s. Each year, Lauriston hosts a programme of outdoor and indoor events, from spring to Christmas. Its superb croquet lawns are home to the Edinburgh Croquet Club.

Three new programmes of events, for families and adults, will soon be getting underway at Lauriston Castle

click here for full details on 2009 adult craft programme
(note: Adobe pdf format: 28kb - opens in new browser window)

click here for full details on 2009 family craft programme
(note: Adobe pdf format: 31kb - opens in new browser window)

click here for full details on 2009 historical lectures
(note: Adobe pdf format: 52kb - opens in new browser window)


Tour times:
Summer Season - From 1st April – 31st October. 2.00pm every day except Friday
Winter Season - From 1st November – 31st March 2.00pm Saturday and Sunday only

Admission charges:
Adult £5.00
Concession £3.00
Family £12.50 (2 Adults + 3 Children under 16)

Group rate £3.00 (for groups of 10 and over)
Out of hours group visits are £8 Adult and £5 Concession.
Refreshments can be provided.

Special Tours and Events

We have one daily ‘no need to book’ guided tour at Lauriston. Just turn up at the times outlined above. You can however book tours at other times by phoning Lauriston Castle. We offer a range of pre-bookable themed tours on subjects like; Edwardian Social History, the Furniture of Lauriston, the History of the Gardens and Servant’s Lives’.

Lauriston Castle is also the home of the Edinburgh Croquet Club. Free croquet taster sessions can be arranged by request. Why not combine a game of croquet with your visit to the Castle, along with afternoon tea? For croquet alone, phone 0131 443 1410 or go on line at

For more information or to book a place on any of our regular organised tours:
telephone 0131 336 2060 or email: [email protected]

Lauriston Castle Grounds

Open Daily: 9am to Dusk
Admission Free