East Princes Street Gardens
On the death of Sir Walter Scott in 1832, the great and good of the city came together to agree on a fitting monument to this outstanding Scottish literary figure.
In 1836, an architectural competition was launched, inviting designs for an appropriate memorial. Two years later, the trustees approved the design submitted by George Meikle Kemp, and construction began in 1840, after permission was obtained from Parliament to build in Princes Street Gardens.
Since the monument opened in August 1846, millions of people have climbed the 200 foot structure to admire its commanding views of the city centre, and to obtain a closer look at the statuettes of characters from Scott’s works. Today there are three memorial banana benches which have been designed to compliment the area.